[Samba] samba and ms server 2008

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 13:07:54 MDT 2010

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

I would be pretty sure that if Windows 7 doesn't work with Samba 3.0.x
that Windows 2008 won't either.   Rather than compiling samba 3.4 or 3.5
from source I would go with Fedora Core 11 (samba 3.3.x) or  some other
more up-to-date linux distro that has a newer version of samba
included.   I wouldn't start anything with 3.0.xx.

I would (maybe stating the obvious) set up a test environment 1st.     I
did start playing with FC13 (samba 3.5)-  not sure it behaved
properly.    I personally would stick with FC12 which I think had samba
3.4.x included-  since I am pretty familiar with 3.4.x but not 3.5.x.
There were definately some config changes between 3.0.x and 3.4.x (group
mapping, domain trusts.)