[Samba] Domain trust between a Samba PDC domain and W2K AD domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:23:37 MDT 2010

He is correct that the Windows 2003 native shd be able to trust an NT4
domain (which is what Samba pretends to be.)   AD domain in Windows
"mixed" mode supports NT4 domain members-  which is not what you are
trying to do anyway.  But it suggested to me that when the AD domain
moves to native mode it either tightens up some authentication protocols
in such a way that don't play nice with older version of Samba.  Of
course, there could have been some weird issue with my environment that
I couldn't isolate.

If you really were setting up a domain trust between NT4 PDC and an
Windows 2003 PDC, the NT4 PDC would "think" it was talking to another
NT4 PDC.   Samba , even tho it is providing the function of an NT4 PDC,
looks like it will detect that the other domain is an Active Directory
domain.   Things like DNS name lookup (which wasn't so much of an issue
for primitive OS's like NT4 or Windows 95) are a lot more important.
(Active directory clients use DNS to locate AD  LDAP and Kerberos
servers.)    It will probably make your life simpler if you use your
Active Directory server as the main DNS and WINS server for the
network.      You may also want to update the krb5.conf file on your
samba server to have information info on the AD "kerberos" domain.
That may help samba locate the the DC for the AD domain.

Also, pretty sure you need to keep NBT (netbios over tcp ) enable on
your Windows AD server-  which should be the default option.  Windows XP
(and later)  AD clients don't need NBT to talk to an AD server so it is
possible your AD admin turned it off.

I also found that the samba documentation was not as complete or current
as I would like.