[Samba] The user name could not be found when joining a samba domain

Mike A. Leonetti mikealeonetti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 22:10:44 MDT 2010

> >/ The problem is the log doesn't give me any information on what's going on and this happened out of nowhere.  Any help would really be appreciated.
> />/
> /
> and your smb.conf?
>
> Most of the time, add machine script has '%u' (or "%u"), remove the
> quotes (or add them; depends on versions, and if a butterfly is flying
> somewhere in Japan) and it will work.
>
> HTH,
> Norberto

Sorry. My e-mail server is acting up. Following your reply I tried
single quotes, double quotes, and no quotes. No luck.

My smb.conf
[global]
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
ldap ssl = no
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
time server = Yes
dns proxy = No
workgroup = falm
os level = 65
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=directory,dc=server
security = user
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%u'
max log size = 50
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
ldap user suffix = ou=People
add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
hide unreadable = Yes
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
ldap password sync = yes
logon drive = H:
domain master = Yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
logon home = \\%L\%U
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
wins support = true
ldap delete dn = Yes
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap group suffix = ou=Group
server string = Evolution Origin Server
ldap suffix = dc=directory,dc=server
log level = 3
logon path = \\%L\profiles
add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
domain logons = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24
logon script = %U.bat

[Homes]
comment = Home directory
read only = No
create mask = 0600
browseable = No
directory mask = 0700
path = /home/%u/windows
#hide files = /Maildir/

[netlogon]
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
write list = root
guest ok = Yes
browseable = No
[profiles]
path = /home/%u/.profile
writable = yes
create mask = 0644
guest ok = Yes
browseable = No
directory mask = 0755

[neil share]
writeable = yes
path = /var/shares/neil share
force directory mode = 770
force group = neilshare
force create mode = 660
comment = Neil Share
valid users = @neilshare
create mode = 660
directory mode = 770

and the rest is just about thirty more shares like the one above this one.

--
Mike A. Leonetti
As warm as green tea