[Samba] nslookup from Windows resolves domain and pdc correctly but still gets cannot contact on samba 3.2.5-4 on lenny

Siju George sgeorge.ml at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:49:11 MDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:38 AM, John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
> On 04/28/2010 06:55 AM, Siju George wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed
>>
>> ii  samba                                 2:3.2.5-4lenny9            a
>> LanManager-like file and printer server for Unix
>> ii  samba-common                          2:3.2.5-4lenny9
>> Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>>
>> On Debian Lenny and i am sharing directories to Windows Users successfully.
>>
>> I configured it as a PDC with the following configuration.
>>

>> [global]
>>        workgroup = HIFXNX
>>        netbios name = HIFXNXDC
>>        server string = HIFXNX Domain Controller, PHP Development
>> Server, Subversion Server, DNS Server
>>        interfaces = 172.16.2.0/255.255.255.255
>
> Can this really work?  Note the size of the netmask!
>
> Maybe better:
>        interfaces = interface_name
>
> If necessary to restrict IP address range, us the "hosts allow" parameter.

Thanks for your input John,

if I use this  interfaces = interface_name then it listens on all IP
addresses on that interface and there are many. It causes confusion to
users so I wanted to restrict the IP address that samba listens to
172.16.2.0.

Actually it works as a file server well with this configuraion and
people can access all the shares.

thanks

--Siju