[Samba] KVNO keeps getting higher and higher

Richard Smits R.Smits at tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 27 06:04:41 MDT 2010

Richard Smits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have clients running Fedora 11. They are running samba and winbind
> version 3.4.2.0.42.
>
> samba-winbind-3.4.2-0.42.fc11.x86_64
> samba-3.4.2-0.42.fc11.x86_64
> samba-common-3.4.2-0.42.fc11.x86_64
>
> Our problem is that the KVNO (Key Version Number) msDS-KeyVersionNumber
> keeps changing in the AD and is getting higher and higher. We are at 16
> now and counting.
>
> The problem is that I have to recreate a new keytab file because our
> clients are also using a nfs4/krb5 mount on another server.
>
> When the version is higher than local in the keytab, the krb5 security
> will not work anymore.
>
> I have talked to the Windows sysadmins and the say that the password for
> a computer object is changed every 30 days, but my experience is that
> the key is increased every couple of days it seems.
>
> But the strange thing is that this is not for every computer object.
> There are also linux servers with AD computer objects that still have
> version 2 ? How is this possible ? This is a mystery for me.
>
> The other servers are using pam_winbind. Could that be the reason why
> the number will not increase in their case ?
>
> I hope to get some hints why this keeps happening.
>
> Greetings .. Richard

Well,

I am still having this problem, but have captured it in a logfile. It
was in the 2003 DC security log.

I seems that the computer object password in the AD is changed. Why ?
And why would winbind not negotiate in a normal manner so this could be
avoided.

See logfile below... Does anyone has a clue why this is happening ?

Greetings ...

27-4-2010	12:49:56	Security	Success Audit	Account Management 	646	NT
AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON	SRVxxx	"Computer Account Changed:
  	-
  	Target Account Name:	linuxserver$
  	Target Domain:	DASTUD
  	Target Account ID:	DOMAIN\linuxserver$
  	Caller User Name:	SRVxxx$
  	Caller Domain:	DASTUD
  	Caller Logon ID:	(0x0,0x3E7)
  	Privileges:	-
  Changed Attributes:
  	Sam Account Name:	-
  	Display Name:	-
  	User Principal Name:	-
  	Home Directory:	-
  	Home Drive:	-
  	Script Path:	-
  	Profile Path:	-
  	User Workstations:	-
  	Password Last Set:	4/27/2010 12:49:56 PM
  	Account Expires:	-
  	Primary Group ID:	-
  	AllowedToDelegateTo:	-
  	Old UAC Value:	-