[Samba] Samba Secondary Groups

grant little grantliddle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:24:10 MDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM, David van Laatum <david at vanlaatum.id.au>wrote:

> <snip/>
> Only thing Ive noticed is that I can't seem to change permissions from
> windows
> on a file/directory unless I personally own the file but not sure if that's
> samba problem or a file system thing?
> <snip/>

I'm no windows expert, far from it, but I think you need to be granted
specific security permissions for that file to be able to change permissions
on that file. Even in a windows server share if you right-click on a file
and choose properties/security then there is a group of folks who can do
various things as denoted by the checked items in the dialog that comes up.
Access Control Lists can get quite complicated and I do know that later
version of Samba have improved ACLs over earlier so it may be a combination
of windows and Samba that you are dealing with.