[Samba] Windows permissions on NTFS share mounted with NTFS-3g on linux

Tim Hattrell tim.hattrell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:19:22 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been trying to get this to work for a while now but no luck...

I have a NTFS formatted drive mounted using ntfs-3g on a linux computer.
This drive is then shared using Samba. When I connect to the share from a
windows machine and create new files their permissions are set for three
users: Everyone, Root (unix user) and Root (unix group) but the actual user
which created the file does not exits.

My actual user name on windows is "Tim Hattrell" and on Linux "tim". I have
created a "User Mapping File" and placed in
/mnt/NTFS_Files/.NTFS-3G/UserMapping to no avail.

How do I get the permissions to map properly from Windows->Samba->ntfs-3g
and back again? How can I tell if this is a Samba problem or an ntfs-3g
problem?

Here are some extracts from config files...

 smb.conf:
[windows_files]
    path = /mnt/NTFS_Files/windows_files
    writeable = yes
;    browseable = yes
    valid users = sarah, tim

fstab:
# Entry for /dev/mapper/isw_dfchagcefe_Volume11:
UUID=57B736B4506A93C4 /mnt/NTFS_Files ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_GB.utf8 0 2

Thanks in advance. Tim