[Samba] Samba over VPN

Mike A. Leonetti mleonetti at evolutionce.com
Thu Apr 22 14:14:29 MDT 2010

I didn't really have a say in this one.  They moved my virtual machine
with a whole bunch of servers to a remote location.  :(

On a WinXP machine I tried setting the WINS server to 10.1.1.1 (the IP
of the DC) and Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Then on the Linux server end I set up a Samba 3.5.2 server and added
this to my smb.conf:

wins support = true
name resolve order = lmhosts hosts bcast

Then I set my LMHOSTS to:
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.1.1.1        FORTISSIMO#20
10.1.1.1        CRCOMPUTER#1b
10.1.1.1        CRCOMPUTER#1c
10.1.1.1        CRCOMPUTER#1d
10.1.1.1        CRCOMPUTER#1e

Which of course fortissimo is the name of the DC and crcomputer is the
name of the domain.  I can access shares on the server no problem.  But
when I go to share a folder on the machine and find domain users, it
doesn't even recognize the domain.

I'm not sure which parts not working.