[Samba] Snow Leopard and Samba

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:02:01 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM, jjrowan <samba at rownetco.com> wrote:
> A customer has an expanding number of Mac computers.  Last Friday and
> existing machine started having problems writing files to a Samba share on a
> CentOS 5.x server.  They had no problems prior to Friday.  They are getting
> permission failure errors in creating files and folders.  I made the sare
> owned by the user and group with group write enabled.  Even with him as the
> owner he can not write to the share.  I stopped / started Samba, same
> problem.  I had him reconnect, same problem.  Even had him reboot his Mac
> but problem persists.  I ran Wireshark traces but the session generates 30
> to 40 thousand packets and I am unable to find the packets that might
> pinpoint why he now has problems writing to the server.   I just ran a yum
> update of the CentOS server and it downloaded samba-common-3.0.33-3.15.  I
> don't know if this release fixes my problem.  Has anyone else had problems
> with OS/X writing to a Samba share AFTER it's been working for for a while
> (in my case 2 months)?

For starters, plan an update. Even RedHat has been publishing the
"samba3x-3.3.8" package as part of their "Supplementary" support
channel for RHEL 5. I'm sorry this hasn't made it to CentOS, but that
3.0.33 code base is relatively old. As clients evolve, it's worth
keeping the servers up to date, and RHEL 5 has gotten pretty long in
the tooth.

There's are very nice 3.5.2 SRPM's and RPM's at
ftp://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/3.5/rhel/ I'm working with them right
now, and they seem quite solid on RHEL 5 and CentOS 5.