[Samba] Snow Leopard and Samba

jjrowan samba at rownetco.com
Tue Apr 20 12:22:17 MDT 2010

A customer has an expanding number of Mac computers.  Last Friday and
existing machine started having problems writing files to a Samba share
on a CentOS 5.x server.  They had no problems prior to Friday.  They are
getting permission failure errors in creating files and folders.  I made
the sare owned by the user and group with group write enabled.  Even
with him as the owner he can not write to the share.  I stopped /
started Samba, same problem.  I had him reconnect, same problem.  Even
had him reboot his Mac but problem persists.  I ran Wireshark traces but
the session generates 30 to 40 thousand packets and I am unable to find
the packets that might pinpoint why he now has problems writing to the
server.   I just ran a yum update of the CentOS server and it downloaded
samba-common-3.0.33-3.15.  I don't know if this release fixes my
problem.  Has anyone else had problems with OS/X writing to a Samba
share AFTER it's been working for for a while (in my case 2 months)?