[Samba] Samba on Solaris 8

David McWilliams davidkmcw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:15:32 MDT 2010

So I decided to dump Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris 8 due to the problems I had
getting it to connect to Vista, so I installed Samba 3.4.2 as downloaded
from Sunfreeware.com, with prereqs;

     krb5-1.7-sol8-sparc-local
     openssl-1.0.0-sol8-sparc-local
     libgcc-3.4.6-sol8-sparc-local
     popt-1.14-sol8-sparc-local
     libiconv-1.13.1-sol8-sparc-local
     readline-5.2-sol8-sparc-local
     libintl-3.4.0-sol8-sparc-local
     samba-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local
     ncurses-5.6-sol8-sparc-local
     sasl-2.1.21-sol8-sparc-local
     openldap-2.4.16-sol8-sparc-local
     zlib-1.2.4-sol8-sparc-local

As far as I can tell, everything installed without issue.

When I try and start Samba using;

     /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D -d 0 -l /var/tmp/samba.out
     /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -D -d 0 -l /var/tmp/samba.out

I get the following error;

     ld.so.1: /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: fatal: libtalloc.so: open failed:
No such file or directory
     Killed

libtalloc.so exists in /usr/local/samba/lib. I tried including
/usr/local/samba/lib in both $LIBPATH & $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Any ideas anyone?

Sláinte,

David

"Build a man a fire he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be
warm for the rest of his life" - Terry Pratchett

Checkout my photos - http://www.panoramio.com/user/1113507