[Samba] Windows 7 can't see my Samba server

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 10:27:44 MDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:17:36 -0400
Steve Blackwell <zephod at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> It's really weird how many times thing break in threes. This time is
> was my wife's laptop, my router and a phone.
>
> Anyway...
>
> My network has a router and 2 computers; my F11 box with the samba
> server on it called steve and my wife's laptop now running Windows 7
> called Kellie-PC.
>
> My old router was a Linksys WRT54G that I had flashed with DD-WRT. I
> was using DHCP and DNS masquerading in the router. The new router is a
> CISCO E3000 which isn't supported yet by DD-WRT so no local DNS but
> I'm still using DHCP. For my test I added Kellie-PC to /etc/hosts and
> check the IP address before I run the test.
>
> steve can ping Kellie-PC by name and Kellie-PC can ping steve by IP
> address.
>
> I have one samba user, Kellie, defined.
>
> Following the samba checklist
> (http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html)
> and running these commands in a terminal window on steve as user
> steve:
>
> $ smbclient -L steve -U Kellie
> Enter Kellie's password:
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7-0.50.fc11]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> 	homes           Disk      Home Directories
> 	Kellie          Disk      Kellies Documents and Settings
> folder on the Winblows side of Steves computer
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Steve's Samba Server
> Version 3.4.7-0.50.fc11)
>         DESKJET_600     Printer   Steve's printer
>         -2600-Series    Printer   Lexmark  2600 Series
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7-0.50.fc11]
>
> 	Server               Comment
> 	---------            -------
> 	COPPERFISH           E3000
> 	STEVE                Steve's Samba Server Version
> 3.4.7-0.50.fc11
>
> 	Workgroup            Master
> 	---------            -------
> 	WORKGROUP            COPPERFISH
>
> $ nmblookup -B steve __SAMBA__
> querying __SAMBA__ on 127.0.0.1
> 192.168.1.120 __SAMBA__<00>
>
> $ nmblookup -B Kellie-PC '*'
> querying * on 192.168.1.122
> name_query failed to find name *
>
> I suspect that this is some kind of permissions problem on the Win7
> box but the fact that the E3000 router is showing up as the workgroup
> master also looks suspect.
> I have tried adding the registry key LmCompatabilityMode = 1 to the
> Win7 machine but no luck.
>
> Any help or pointers to some readable Win7 docs would be appreciated.
> This used to work OK under Vista.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve.

Oops,

The last two I got wrong. They should be
$ nmblookup -B steve __SAMBA__ -U Kellie
querying __SAMBA__ on 0.0.0.0
192.168.1.120 __SAMBA__<00>

and
$ nmblookup -B Kellie-PC '*' -U Kellie
querying * on 0.0.0.0
192.168.1.120 *<00>

So they both give me the IP address of my samba server instead of the
second one giving me the IP address of Kellie-PC