[Samba] transfer to Microsoft Distributed File Service

Xu, Qiang (FXSGSC) Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com
Sun Apr 18 21:43:25 MDT 2010

In my testing, it is found that in the path \\domain_name\dfs_share, if the domain_name string contains a dot char, like "XCTEST.COM", then smbclient can handle DFS correctly. However, if the domain_name string doesn't contain any dot char, like "\\XCTEST\DFS_Share", then smbclient will think XCTEST is the server's hostname. Of coz, the server can't be located, and the transfer will fail.

However, in my testing environment, the DFS properties windows shows it is using the primary domain name without the dot char, like "\\XCTEST\DFS_Share". smbclient can only made to work only if I manually configure the dfs path to be \\XCTEST.COM\DFS_Share".

Is this to be expected?

Thanks,
Xu Qiang