[Samba] smbstatus shows no hostnames (3.5.1)

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu Apr 15 22:01:06 MDT 2010

Am Mittwoch 24 März 2010 20:06:41 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:51:50PM +0100, christoph.beyer at desy.de wrote:
> > while debugging I observed something 'new' the name resolution works fine
> > on the samba server as long as I browse the server 'directly' on the
> > windows host (\\printserver)
> >
> > It is not working when I look into a printerqueue etc on the windows
> > host, this goes along whith what I see in my working environment, a
> > couple of hostnames get resolved but very few.
> >
> > So you can find to debug logfiles here, one with working name resolution
> > and one without working name resolution:
> >
> > https://www.desy.de/~chbeyer/public/smbd_log_d10_working.tar
> >
> > https://www.desy.de/~chbeyer/public/smbd_log_d10.tar
> >
> > Thansk for the support !
>
> Compared the logs, I don't see any difference in the
> relevant pieces of them. I'm lost at this point.  Someone
> with Samba knowledge needs to look at the box itself.
>
> Sorry,
>
> Volker

I assume "hostname lookups = Yes" is set in smb.conf

During the last months i was also wondering about smbstatus output
regarding hostnames or simple IPs - i had the impression that somewhat
randomly some hostnames were not shown anymore, only their IP addresses.

I'm often running/testing very different samba versions - and the (different)
output of smbstatus didn't hit my interest/attention at all.

I'm now doing some further tests on the git master branch.
smbstatus e.g. relies on info stored in "sessionid.tdb" and "connections.tdb" ... ,
and the DNS related entries seem to be not properly collected and/or passed
over to the calling function (inside the server).

smbstatus just displays what the server previously has collected...

Cheers, Günter