[Samba] transfer to Microsoft Distributed File Service

Xu, Qiang (FXSGSC) Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com
Thu Apr 15 04:29:09 MDT 2010

Sorry for my dumb, list. But, in http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/msdfs.html, I only found how to configure smb.conf to host a DFS tree in Samba server. My problem is just the reverse one: how to use smbclient to access a DFS path like "//domain_name/dfs_share/share_link"? And I didn't find any hint on the official HOWTO.

By default, smbclient will try to resolve the string after the initial two slashes "//" to get the server's IP address. But when the path to be accessed is a DFS one hosted on Windows 2000/2003 Server, what should smbclient do to log in successfully?

Really at a loss. Hope someone can shed some light on this topic.

Thanks,
Xu Qiang