[Samba] winxp + sp3 = samba-shared printer hangs the system

Simone iceee2k3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:20:02 MDT 2010

hi,

 since I upgraded some winxp-pro sp2 client to sp3, my samba-shared
printers are no-longer usable :-/
With sp3, if I run notepad and choose the menù File-Print, the "print"
window hangs and does not show any printer for about 1 minute! The
same thing happens when I click on the menù Start-settings-Printer and
faxes.
With sp2, everything works correctly and I can browse all my
configured samba-printers.

This is the way I added printers ...

In my PDC I configued 2 samba-printers( \\mypdc\printer1 and
\\mypdc\printer2), then I logged in as administrator and globally
added printers using,  as suggested in the samba doc, the "RunDLL32
PrintUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry" command:

    :: to delete previously added printers...
    RunDLL32 PrintUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /gd /n \\mypdc\printer1 /q
    RunDLL32 PrintUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /gd /n \\mypdc\printer2 /q
    :: to add samba-shared printers GLOBALLY...
    Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n \\mypdc\printer1 /q
    Rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n \\mypdc\printer2 /q

Then I rebooted the client once.

Should I disable some strange sort of "security" feature? And ideas or
useful pointer ?

Thank you in advance,
 Simone