[Samba] browsing across subnets/vpn

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Apr 14 01:10:08 MDT 2010

	I am setting up a client with vpn to access a samba share.
The samba server (which is both file and WINS server) is also the vpn
machine, so nothing too complicated as far as routing goes, and the
vpn stuff (openvpn stuff) all seems to work fine, client can manually
log into shares by specifying the name and vpn interface address of
the share.
	I am using layer three bridging (IP over a tun interface),
not layer two (ethernet over a tap interface)
	But what I would need to do to allow clients to browse shares
on this one machine.
	Is there a way to configure the Windows client (and samba if
necessary) to allow browsing of shares, without switching everything
over to ethernet bridging (which seems a lot to do do for  simple
task).
	I assume this is, at heart, a fairly simple browsing across
subnets question. Please forgive my cluelessness.
	Regards
		David