[Samba] Samba and mulitple user connections

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Apr 13 01:06:20 MDT 2010

Miller, Amber put forth on 4/9/2010 9:22 AM:
> I have a Solaris system with Samba on it, along with two PC's a windows
> 2000 and XP.  Shares were setup via SWAT.  A user can access the shares
> on the 2000 machine after putting in login credentials when browsing
> through windows explorer.  However, when trying to login the same share
> through XP the user gets "network connection has been lost."  Although
> the XP machine can and stays connected via the SWAT web page.  I'm at a
> loss...Are there restrictions on multiple connections to a share via the
> same username with Samba?

Maybe this?

"Limiting the number of concurrent connections

Samba is able to limit the number of concurrent connections when smbd is
launched as a daemon (not from inetd). The 'max smbd processes' smb.conf
option allows Administrators to define the maximum number of smbd processes
running at any given point in time. Any further attempts from clients to
connect to the server will be rejected."

max smbd processes = 1

That could cause the problem you describe.  Check /etc/samba/smb.conf (or
where ever Solaris keeps the file) and make sure "max smbd processes" isn't
defined.

--
Stan