[Samba] Samba 34 + LDAP = hang?

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Mon Apr 12 18:58:25 MDT 2010

Hi,
I tried updating Samba to 3.4 (from 3.3) as libsmbclient uses it and
that pulls in talloc which conflicts with 3.3..

Unfortunately when I tried it, it hung when I tried to use the ldap
passdb backend. I could not really get any useful debugging out of it
:(

The stack trace is junk (even after enabling max debug) and running
with..
sudo /usr/local/sbin/smbd -d 10 -F -S

Showed stuff but nothing related to LDAP (except mentioning the line in
the config) and it still hung after saying it was going to daemonise
itself.

It hung not using any CPU but it hadn't yet opened any TCP listen
sockets - however it did have a socket to the LDAP server open.

Does anyone actually use this combination on FreeBSD?

I have had various annoying issues with LDAP (eg slapd crashing when
it's not shut down cleanly, various frustrations getting it setup etc)
but I haven't come across this bug before.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum