[Samba] Samba vs. Windows

Mon Apr 12 09:11:03 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:30:18AM -0400, Smith, Keenan C. wrote:
> We have a fairly vanilla Samba configuration that recently
> replaced a Windows 2003 server and among other things,
> serves large (>64 MB) files.  Permissions are all 777.
>
> When running an application attempting to do a single read
> of these files from a share, we discovered that they were
> not being served properly.  We also found that copying
> them to the local drive or changing the ownership of the
> files to the person running the application seemed to
> address the problem.
>
> By "properly" I mean that the entire file was not being
> transferred to the workstations.
>
> We found that there's a 64 MB limit for a single read on
> 32-bit Windows.  That explained why the enter file wasn't
> being served.
>
> However, why would changing the ownership of the file or
> copying it locally make a difference?  Is the 64MB limit
> only on network services?  Does changing the ownership the
> file somehow change the properties of the file, making it
> "readable"?
>
> Also, we found the running the same application from Linux
> through an NFS mount or from a Windows workstation to a
> Windows server, the file was served as expected.
>
> It seems like Windows-to-Windows somehow enables buffered
> reading where Windows-to-Samba does not.  We can't find
> any obvious Samba settings that would make this work and
> it doesn't seem to be a Windows issue.

Can you please create a network trace of the
Windows->Windows transfer as well as of the Samba->Windows
transfer? Please file a bug with https://bugzilla.samba.org/
and upload the network traces there. Information on how to
create useful network traces can be found under
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

Thanks,

Volker