[Samba] Ideas for distributed Samba servers

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Mon Apr 12 04:36:14 MDT 2010

On 12/04/2010 06:21, Robert LeBlanc wrote:

>> Ever heard of glusterfs?
The exact thing I was going to ask :)

> Yes, I don't think it works well in a geography diverse clusters though.
I'll test it soon in a 2-node scenario, where nodes are on separate
networks and max speed is limited by an optical link to about 100Mbps.
Currently NFS shares accessed throught the link are OK (just a bit
slower than local ones -- but we're speaking of two small labs: 10 PCs
in one and 25 in the other). And it adds full replication (instead of
just a cache) "for free", making only the diffs travel throught the slow
link. Maybe it could take a long time after a "split brain" to resync.

Their "appliance" supports exporting as samba share, but I don't know
the granularity and how well it could be integrated in a domain.

--
Diego Zuccato
Servizi Informatici
mail: diego.zuccato at unibo.it