[Samba] how to mount shares as a user without mount.cifs setuid

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 17:07:56 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Gary Dale <garydale at rogers.com> wrote:
> Christian PERRIER wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Gary Dale (garydale at rogers.com):
>>

>>> Now perhaps I'm missing something, but I have no trouble with users
>>> mounting nfs shares. The idea that users can't mount cifs shares
>>> strikes me as odd and an unnecessary impediment.
>>>

>> How about turning the binary we provide in Debian to setuid on the
>> systems where you want it to be this way, by using
>> dpkg-statoverride(8)?
>>

> Actually, I was just responding to Nico's assertion that disabling setuid is
> a seatbelt. The idea that mounting shares should be restricted to root is,
> imho, a cure that is worse than the disease.  :)

It's safer *default* behavior. If you want non-root users to be able
to mount, you can create a table of mounting options in auto.master or
in another auto.cifs file that will translate the mounting options
into something available to users, with wildcards to allow access to
alternative servers or shares.