[Samba] how to mount shares as a user without mount.cifs setuid

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Wed Apr 7 14:44:47 MDT 2010

I'm running Debian/Squeeze on an AMD64 system. For some reason they have
recently stopped shipping mount.cifs with the setuid bit set. Now it
appears that they have changed the internal settings to prevent it from
running setuid. This means that I can't define the share in fstab with
"user" and connect from my Linux user account. Mounting smb/cifs shares
seems to be blocked except for root.

Presumably this has been done for security reasons. However, I can't
currently do much with my network shares unless I'm root because the
shares and all the files are owned by root:root. This is despite the
fstab setting username=<my windows account name> and I get prompted for
the password. That only seems to be used for connecting to the share,
not for the permissions.

My Debian box hasn't joined a domain - I'm just using local accounts. I
mainly have the domain for some Windows boxes used by my family.

How do I mount an smb/cifs share as a normal user without running
mount.cifs? Or if I have to mount the share as root, how can I get
reasonable access to the shares?