[Samba] Samba permissions problem, winbind auth, ldap nss

Eddy Sturg tride2009 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 10:40:32 MDT 2010

Greetings list,

I'm having a problem setting file permissions for users connecting to my
samba file server.  CentOS 5.4, samba-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1.

I have authentication configured to use winbind, and name services
configured to use LDAP.

I've configured valid users in smb.conf to contain DOMAIN\username for the
users I want to be able to connect.

They can browse the share just fine, and they have group ownership, mode
775.

What I'm confused about is that they can create a new file or directory, but
they cannot delete or rename a file or directory - even one they've created.

If I create a test file, give it a mode of 777, they cannot rename or delete
(or edit) that file.

Also - I have read only = no in smb.conf for that share.

Any suggestions on what I am missing would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddy