[Samba] Corrent security mode settings to allow mess-windows XP behave!

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Wed Apr 7 09:10:03 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> Yeah.  I added 'map to guest = bad user'.  The anonymous shares are
> working.  Windows now asks for a username AND password for the protected
> shares, but cannot connect, claiming the share is already open under a
> different user (or some such nonsense).

My notes for a working guest share with user security is:
Global:
       security = user
       map to guest = Bad User
       username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
       -- no 'valid users =' line --

Share:
       guest ok = yes
       -- no 'valid users =' line --
..may also want..
       guest only = yes
..and if desired..
       force group = nobody
       force user = nobody

For the username map (/etc/samba/smbusers in this case):
       nobody = guest

..assuming "nobody" (a standard user in most distros I've run across)
       is to be your "guest" user