[Samba] AIX 5.3 Active Directory Synchronisation using Winbind

Craig Green cgreen at ultradata.com.au
Mon Apr 5 20:10:35 MDT 2010

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your input.

I have been using Samba on our AIX servers for last few years.  Up unto recently I have always used "security = DOMAIN", (with versions 3.0.28 and 3.3.9).  I have had no issues with that type of setup.  It is only now that I have been testing integration into MS AD and using "security = ADS" that I am having problems.  The Samba versions I have tried with ADS are 3.3.9 and 3.5.0.  Version 3.3.9 was compiled from scratch.  I get the same issues with both versions.  Originally I thought the issues must be with my compiled version.  However it seems it be some sort of AIX config issue since I get the same issues with version 3.5.0 which is the pre-compiled version from the hvcc.edu site.

I am stumped as to what the issue is.  Everything I can find on the net re using samba and winbind implies I have the correct setup but this cannot be the case since I cannot get it to work.  I must have something wrong but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Re the question of "do you really need ADS security mode". Well, most likely not, we could integrate using ldap but my understanding is that using winbind is a less complicated method or it is supposed to be.  In regards to the correct version of WINBIND, I have checked this previously and the correct version is being used.

In the past I have been able to connect a Linux server to an MS-AD but the Linux server uses NSS.  AIX does not have NSS but I believe the changes to the "/etc/security/user" file are supposed to replace this.  I am guessing the issue has something to do with this.  However I have found info on the www that says other users of AIX have been able to Samba and WINBIND to join and ADS and to authenticate back to the AD without issues once they have made the alterations to the /etc/security/user and methods.cfg files.

If I perform a test to verify that communications between Samba-3 winbind and the Active Directory server is using Kerberos protocols I get the correct data back.

$ net ads info
LDAP server: 172.16.xxx.xxx
LDAP server name: blue.testrealm.com.au
Realm: TESTREALM.COM.AU
Bind Path: dc=TESTREALM,dc=COM,dc=AU
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 11:27:22 EET
KDC server: 172.16.xxx.xxx
Server time offset: 0

The "net ads status" command also returns the correct data.

So everything I do implies I am communicating correctly with the AD. However authentication does not work.

I also agree with you that the hvcc.edu site it is an awesome project.  Without it my life would certainly be more difficult.

Regards,

Craig Green
Support Consultant - Unix

Ultradata - Vision to Reality