[Samba] question difference of roaming profile between WinXP and Win7

r.s1 at gmx.at r.s1 at gmx.at
Sat Apr 3 09:00:15 MDT 2010

Hello
I want to add Win7 machine to my Samba PDC with WinXP clients. Google tells me I have to add a .V2 to my profiles. The samba log ask about a .v2 share.
Can someone explain me the difference of the v2 extension at the profile names and the roaming profile share?
Following my settings:

smb.conf:
[global]
        logon path = \\%L\nt-profile
        logon home = \\%L\nt-profile

[nt-profile]
        comment = Client Profiles
        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[nt-profile.v2]
        comment = Client Profiles
        path = /BUERO/samba/nt-profile/%u
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

ls -l /BUERO/samba/nt-profile
drwsrwsr-x 24 kira     users  4096 2010-04-03 16:16 kira
drwxr-sr-x  2 kira     users  4096 2010-04-02 18:59 kira.V2

These are 2 empty profiles.
I logged on to user kira with an XP client, set the background colour to green and logged of. Profile kira was filled with data. Now I logged on to user kira with an Win7 client, the background was black. I set the background to yellow and logged of. The profile kira.V2 is still empty. Finally I logged on to kira with XP and the background was yellow. So Win7 and XP are using the same profile, which should be if I understand "mr. google" right. I thought I just had to copy the roaming profiles to a profile with extension .V2.

I found following in the samba log during Win7 logon:
  :
get_referred_path: |nt-profile.V2| in dfs path \testserver\nt-profile.V2 is not a dfs root.
  :
Connect path is '/BUERO/samba/nt-profile/kira' for service [nt-profile.v2]
  :
connect to service nt-profile.v2 initially as user kira (uid=524, gid=100) (pid 12087)
  :
reduce_name [.] [/BUERO/samba/nt-profile/kira]
  :

Further, there is a reference to nt-profile.V2 (uppercase V2) and next a connect to nt-profile.v2 (lowercase v2). What is the difference? Finally, the profile kira is used and not kira.V2. Why?

Can someone explain me the correct setup of samba for Win7 clients?

regards robert
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser