[Samba] Samba 3.0.22 - slow performance - Really urgent help

Christoph Beyer christoph.beyer at desy.de
Thu Apr 1 05:32:02 MDT 2010

Hi,

if you do 'truss -f -p <smbd-PID>' do you see a lot of:

19702:  fcntl(17, F_SETLKW64, 0xFFBFE640)               = 0

?

If yes this is a problem that is present in most of the recent samba versions
(tried 5 or 6 versions off the different branches) it's a solaris related bug
but that's all I can say. It might be fixed in 3.5.1 ...

cheers
christoph

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Volker Lendecke wrote:

>  On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 06:22:34PM +0800, Alan Pek wrote:
> >  a) Though the CPU utilisation is not high but there memory used and
> >  swapped are very high. This will slow it down further.
> >
> >  b) Think every samba connection will consume a considerable amout of
> >  memory as well.
>
>  The rough estimate here is that Samba should have 2-3MB real
>  RAM per client. If your smbds use a lot more, you might be
>  hitting a memleak that might be fixed in later versions.
>  3.0.22 is very old, I would really recommend looking at
>  3.4.7 or 3.5.2 (next week).
>
> >  c) We did a test, by saving a huge number of files onto local drive (on
> >  enduser PC) and the copy into the mapped drives This is much faster,
> >  probably by factor 6 or more, then using Excel marco
> >  and writing directly into the samba share over NFS.
>
>  Do you have oplocks disabled? This would severely impact
>  performance. If you don't have concurrent NFS clients
>  accessing the same data, you might also want to try
>
>  posix locking = no
>
> >  d) Looking at the system, and samba processes,  how should I do a truss
> >  with high-resolution timestamps on the smbd processes ? Every smbd process
> >  ?
> >  Just do :
> >
> >          truss -p 20995 without any option ?
>
>  Not sure how truss really works, in Linux you would do a
>
>  strace -ttT -p 20995 -o smbd.out
>
>  You pick a single smbd with "smbstatus" and run your test.
>  The truss output will need some interpretation though.
>
> >  e)  Network tracing , meaning application profiling by putting a sniffer,
> >  or/and snoop on both samba and nfs side ?
>
>  Yes. Best done on the samba server box itself.
>
>  BTW, before you send stuff to the list -- both the truss and
>  the network sniffer output will probably contain sensitive
>  data.
>
>  Volker

best regards
 	~ christoph

--
/*   Christoph Beyer     |   Office: Building 2b / 23     *\
   *   DESY                |    Phone: 040-8998-2317        *