[Samba] Question on Samba server with WINS service

cpthk cpthk at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 00:44:29 MDT 2009

I am setting up a samba server with WINS service. I set:
[CODE]wins support = yes
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast[/CODE]

And then I created the lmhosts file under /etc/samba/lmhosts with info in
short:
[CODE]192.168.1.5 TESTPC
...[/CODE]

I found that when I start samba server, I check the file
/var/lib/samba/wins.dat, I did not see those data in lmhosts file. It only
has the samba's hostname and its workgroup name.

I then found that I have to go to every computer and setup WINS server
address in the network connections, then restart(or give nbtstat -RR) to
make wins.dat file show up each computer name and ip address. Isn't samba
suppose to read lmhosts file upon startup? It seems like samba doesn't read
the lmhosts file at all.

Anyone know the reason?

Thanks.