[Samba] Samba as member in AD-domain: which windows to prefer?

Michele Petrazzo - Unipex michele.petrazzo at unipex.it
Tue Sep 22 10:42:24 MDT 2009

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Greets, samba-users,
>
> I am forced to accept the fact that the migration to some new
> software leads my customer to introduce a windows-based DC ...
> degrading my samba/ldap-setup to domain-members ... *sigh*
>
> Now I am asked what windows server to prefer (in terms of how samba
> will interact): ms windows server 2003 or 2008 ?

Like now I have more than one samba 3.3 with win 2k3 and it work without
problem, but no win2k8. The unique tip that I can suggest you are, if
you can, try to setup a test environment with virtual-machine. When I
test for the first time the samba 3.3 like an AD server-member it
provide me all the possible problems and leave me to head banging inside
them *before* the production!

P.s. You can download the various 2k3 and 2k8 trials from the Microsoft
download site

Michele