[Samba] Simple client config

Edson Marquezani Filho edsonmarquezani at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:18:49 MDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to know what is really necessary to setup a Samba as a
simple client of a PDC Server, because, the way I'm trying, things are
not working.

I have Samba + LDAP on a server as PDC, and I want to setup
transparent proxy authentication through Squid and Samba + Winbind on
another server, but I can't make this Samba to authenticate against
the PDC.

I have been trying with a very simple config like, like this:

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = (I have already tried with *, FQDN, netbios
name and IP address.)
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes

Domain joining happened succesfully, with net rpc join, but I can't
authenticate any user with smclient, and winbind doesn't work too. A
attempt to connect on localhost via smbclient fails with the following
message:

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I have tried to include other parameters, but nothing has worked. What
I'm missing?

Thank you.