[Samba] Failing to add XP SP3 client to Samba domain

Wes Deviers wdevie at hrcsb.org
Fri Sep 18 15:01:53 MDT 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 04:29:47 pm Steve Cayford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running samba 3.2.5 as a domain controller on a Debian Lenny server
> with authentication data stored in a local openldap instance. The server
> has been running smoothly since I originally set it up on Sarge. I upgraded
> to Etch a while back and then to Lenny about a month ago.
>
> I'm trying to add a new Windows XP SP3 client to the domain for the first
> time since the latest upgrade and I'm getting the error message "The user
> name could not be found" on the client. I've joined clients to the domain
> previously with no problems using the "root" account on the server.
>
> Upon examining the ldap entries I can see that an account *was* created for
> the computer (named foshan), but it is incomplete as it only has the
> following attributes:
>
> cn 		foshan$
> description	Computer
> gecos		Computer
> gidNumber	515
> homeDirectory	/dev/null
> loginShell	/bin/false
> uid		foshan$
> uidNumber	4905

Steve,

Are you using OpenLDAP?  Is it possible that during the Debian upgrade, the
OpenLDAP schema files got changed, and so it's failing because updates would
violate the schema (perhaps, because, the samba schema file is now missing or
not being loaded..?)

Somewhere in there, I think Debian switched from using OpenLDAP with schema
configuration files to schema-over-LDAP updates. If it tried to convert your
schema and failed, or even just flat-out ignored it, that would cause the
problem.

Turn slapd's logging to debug or sniff the LDAP transaction when you try to
join the machine and see what that gets you?

Wes