[Samba] Cannot rename/delete files from Windows client anymore

Michele Stravs michele.stravs at mitschi.ch
Fri Sep 18 08:27:53 MDT 2009

Hi,

I upgraded Samba from 3.0.26 to 3.3.2.
Now, users are unable to rename and delete files.
* Exception: Renaming/deleting works if the directory containing the
file has 777 permissions.
* Renaming/deleting does not work in directories with 775 permissions
even if the user is the owner of the directory AND the file AND is in
the respective owner groups.
* User management works via LDAP backend.
* I also installed a CUPS printer in the meantime, but I don't expect
this to change anything relevant.

 From smb.conf:
[public]
    comment = Public
    path = /raid/samba/share/public/
    read only = No
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
(same as before the upgrade)

getfacl of an example directory where renaming does not work:
# file: Test
# owner: norav
# group: Domain\040Users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

Why this problem? Did any default config option change? I found a report
of a similar problem on an upgrade to 3.0.28. In that case, users were
not allowed to rename/delete if they didn't own the directory themselves
(regardless of group):
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/samba-on-rhel4-windows-users-unable-to-rename-or-delete-files-704081/

Thanks for any help
-Michele