[Samba] Can I use net ads join without DNS

andy.marr at bt.com andy.marr at bt.com
Thu Sep 17 04:01:03 MDT 2009

Thanks Volker !

Yes your suggestion worked.

[root at fgukshppay001] # /usr/sfw/sbin/net ads join -U admandymarr
admandymarr's password:
The workgroup in /etc/sfw/smb.conf does not match the short
domain name obtained from the server.
Using the name [FGPREPROD] from the server.
You should set "workgroup = FGPREPROD" in /etc/sfw/smb.conf.
Using short domain name -- FGPREPROD
Joined 'FGUKSHPPAY001' to realm 'FGPREPROD.COM'

If feel a bit dumb mixing the args order - but that's nothing new for me
!

To recap I added the password server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx option in the
smb.conf and made sure the ADS server
Was correctly set-up in /etc/hosts.

Best Regards
Andy