[Samba] ACL misbehavior moving from POSIX ACL -> acl_xattr

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Sep 16 12:04:57 MDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 01:38:13PM -0400, Wes Deviers wrote:

> Or, alternately, "Does Samba, with vfs object = acl_xattr, store ACLs both as
> a user_xattr AND an ext3 ACL at the same time?"  My limited testing shows that
> *not* to be the case, but I'm certainly not the expert.

Yes it does (store ACLs both as a user_xattr AND an ext3 ACL at the same time).
It's designed that way. You might be getting away with the use cases you're
trying, but it won't work long term. If you want the underlying filesystem
to ignore ACLs you'll need to write a module that does this (and doesn't
pass down the ACL requests to the underlying file system).

Jeremy.