[Samba] ERROR: Unable to fetch machine password for DLEL70$@ in domain

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Sep 13 19:42:56 MDT 2009

> I'm new to SAMBA, so I apologize up front if I ask a dumb question!
> We upgraded from solaris 8 (samba2.2.8a) to solaris 10 and installed
> samba 3.2.4. When user tried to use samba, they got   "Failed to open
> /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb". I thought maybe the file just
> needed to be there, so I touched the new file into existence, and
> then they got this error:  "ERROR: Unable to fetch machine password
> for DLEL70$@ in domain". The previous installation of 2.2.8a on
> solaris 8 did not get these errors, and the /usr/local/samba/private
> directory was empty as well. Is there a way around this? Is there a
> parameter I need to set?  Thanks!

Probably your old Samba stored secrets.tdb somewhere else (e.g.
/var/cache/samba/private or /etc/samba/private).  If you find the old
file just copy it into the new location and everything should start
working again.  If you can't find it you'll need to re-add the machine
to the domain.

Cheers,
Adam.