[Samba] Still problems with samba 3.4.1 / ldap and search for users ans machines

John H Terpstra - Samba Team jht at samba.org
Sat Sep 12 12:06:16 MDT 2009

On 09/12/2009 11:59 AM, Ralf Hornik Mailings wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> It is simply not possible to create users and machines in an OU other
> than "ou=people,<ldab_base_dn>"
> Even when I change this in smb.conf, smbpasswd -a <user> or -a -m
> <machine> always fails with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.
> Is this a desired behaviour? Has anyone else created machine/user
> accounts in a different container?
>
> Thank you and best regards
>

> Ralf

Of over 100 LADP Samba installation I have completed over 80%
successfully use:

uid='username',ou=People,ou=Users,<ldap_base_dn>
uid='machine',ou=Computers,ou=Users,<ldap_base_dn>

If you follow chapter 5 of Samba3-ByExample, it should work for you too.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

- John T.