[Samba] smbclient gives strange results

eje4 eje4 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 4 09:31:56 MDT 2009

Hello,

I've been using Samba on a Sun server but we recently discontinued using the
Sun and switched to using Samba on a RH linux server.  I can't get file
sharing to work on the new server.  When I test the connection to the samba
server (velar) by running smbclient //velar/homes -U eric I get an error
message referring to NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.  I can't find any reason
for this error because all the names are correct, permissions are correct,
etc.

Furthermore, when I run smbclient -L localhost -N it correctly lists the
shares, but I get strange results, such as:

Server                Comment
---------             ------------
EARTH
SATURN
VELAR                  Samba

Workgroup            Master
-------------       -----------
PHON                  SATURN

This is confusing because EARTH and SATURN are actually clients, not
servers, so I don't see how they can be listed as servers.  Also the master
for PHON should be VELAR, not SATURN.

Does anybody have any idea of I can proceed to troubleshoot this problem?
smb.conf listed below.

Thanks very much,
Eric

[global]
	invalid users = bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp

	netbios name = velar
	workgroup = PHON
	passdb backend = smbpasswd
	os level = 255