[Samba] unable to join w2k3 SP1 to samba 3 domain.

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 10 21:34:19 MDT 2009

> Hi, my user is a domain admin, ie. a member of group RID 512.
> When I try to join the domain, I'm prompted for username and password.
> This means that the Windows server has successfully located the Samba
> PDC using Wins resolution.
> So far so good, but when I enter my credentials I get the error
> message after 3-5 secs.

That means the credentials you're entering don't have enough access.

> ## Add Samba machine account
> sudo useradd -g 515 -d /dev/null -s /bin/false devsrv01$
> sudo pdbedit -a -u devsrv01$

Here you're adding the machine account as root, but are you entering in
root's username and password when adding the machine to the domain?  I'm
not familiar enough with how all the Samba permissions are set up, but I
would guess that your domain admin account doesn't have the access it
should.  If you can add the machine to the domain as the SAMBAPC\root
user or the like then that would definitely be the case.

Cheers,
Adam.