[Samba] Samba wants "chdir"

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Sep 1 02:24:00 MDT 2009

Hallo, Michael,

Du meintest am 01.09.09:

> 2009/8/31 Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de>:
> [...]
>> Aug 31 10:09:28 Server smbd[20793]:   chdir (/home/adm) failed
> [...]
>> b) which machine or program asks "chdir /home/adm"? That's a DOS
>> command, no Linux command.

> There is a Unix system call called chdir().  I suspect that this is
> what smbd is referring to.

Hmmm - never seen. But that's no proof of inexistence.

        strings /usr/sbin/smbd | grep chdir

tells

make_connection_with_chdir
chdir (%s) failed
make_connection_with_chdir
Failed to chdir to / on chroot to %s

And there is the above error message - ok.

>> "/home/adm" exists, it's a Samba share.

> What user is smbd running as?  (ps aux | grep smbd)

Owner: "root"

> Who owns /home/adm and what are the permissions?

        /home:          root:root       755
        /home/adm:      adm:lehrer      755

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut