[Samba] Restart Winbind

Linux Addict linuxaddict7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:51:04 MDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> > BTW, The corresponding log I see on winbind log is...
> >
> > tdb(/var/lib/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb): tdb_rec_read bad magic 0x42424242
> at
> > offset=1151980
> > [2009/09/04 10:37:25,  1] lib/util_tdb.c:tdb_validate_and_backup(1437)
> >   tdb '/var/lib/samba/winbindd_cache.tdb' is invalid
> >

> > Usually, removing the tdb files and restarting winbind fixes the issue.
>
> It'd probably be helpful if - assuming you're running a recent Samba
> version - you can attach to the winbind process with GDB when it gets
> stuck and post a backtrace, so that the devs can see exactly where the
> problem is.  No doubt the corrupted .tdb files are causing an infinite
> loop somewhere.
>
> What version of Samba are you running?
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Samba version is 3.2.4. I am in the process of upgrading to 3.2.8 that may
solve the issue.

I wish I can put gdb, but when tdb files get corrupted, I cant login to the
host even as a local user on console. Winbind seems to be locking the whole
authentication stream.   I don't understand why even the local user cant
login.

Thats the I'm working on a script to run w/ cron, so that when winbind
consumes more than 40% cpu, I want to restart the cpu.

I wanted to ask another question on the same subject. When I start the
winbind using the init script, it forks 4 processes. The pid on
/var/run/winbindd.pid is the parent process. So is that the pid I need to
monitor to capture the true cpu utilization?

~LA