[Samba] Port 7

Anthony Accurso ihtarlik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 04:20:52 MDT 2009

I am running Samba 3.3.2 on Ubuntu 9.04 and /proc/version states "Linux
version 2.6.28-15-server (buildd at yellow) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu
4.3.3-5ubuntu4) ) #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 20:09:37 UTC 2009".  Recently,
to support a new client on my home network (running Windows 7 RTM 32-bit), I
modified my smb.conf file.  The Windows 7 client had refused to connect to
Samba with an error stating "More data available."  Prompt Googling of this
issue returned a workaround involving adding "smb ports = 139" to my config
file.  Everything seemed to work fine since the change, except I noticed
that Samba is now listening on TCP port 7.  This port is historically used
by inetd or xinetd running an ECHO service.  I have confirmed that it is
definitely Samba listening on port 7, and that Samba is now echoing data
sent to that port.
In short, why does Samba open TCP port 7 and run an ECHO service when "smb
ports = 139" is specified in the configuration file?