[Samba] Password-less share, for certain users.

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 04:22:14 MDT 2009

"Michael Heydon" <michaelh at jaswin.com.au> wrote in message
news:4A9F440C.4010905 at jaswin.com.au...
> On 3/09/2009 11:04 AM, Jamrock wrote:
> > Try the "valid users" option in the smb.conf.  If I remember correctly,
you
> > can set this to a group.  That way only the members of the group should
have
> > access to the share.
> >
> > valid users = @accounts
> >
> If they connect as a guest, then there is nothing to compare against the
> valid users setting.

If they connect as guest there is no way to restrict specific users to the
share.  All users would be logged in as guest.

If they are on a network and are authenticated, they can access the share
without having to enter an additional password.

The valid users command would then restrict  specific users to the share.

Another way to do this is to use the Linux security logic to restrict access
to the share.  I prefer this approach.