[Samba] Cannot connect from Windows 2000 to Samba 3.4.0 on Li nux ....

Jochen Roderburg roderburg at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 2 06:06:13 MDT 2009

Hoover, Tony <hoover <at> sal.ksu.edu> writes:

> Some default setting have changed.  Use: testparm -v  from your various
> versions of samba to detect which parameters may be causing you issues.

> Tony Hoover, Network Administrator
> KSU - Salina, College of Technology and Aviation
> (785) 826-2660

Yes, that was a possibility I also thought of, but I could not find anything
suspicious in this area.

The only documented default changes in 3.4 among the parameters are
"passdb backend", which I have set explicitely to "smbpasswd" now
and "map untrusted to domain", which is not for a standalone server.

For the sake of completeness a diff of the "testparm -v" outputs from samba
version 3.3.7 and 3.4.0:

1a2
> access based share enum = No
30a32
> browsable = Yes
32a35
> cache directory = /var/log/samba3/locks
47,48d49
< config backend = file
< config file =
62a64
> dedicated keytab file =
132d133
< include =
141a143
> kerberos method = default
194a197
> map untrusted to domain = No
199c202
< max open files = 10000
---
> max open files = 1024
244a248
> perfcount module =
262c266
< private dir = /usr/local/samba3/private
---
> private dir = /usr/local/private
283c287
< server string = Samba 3.3.7
---
> server string = Samba 3.4.0
292c296
< smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba3/private/smbpasswd
---
> smb passwd file = /usr/local/private/smbpasswd
296a301
> state directory = /var/log/samba3/locks
314d318
< use kerberos keytab = No

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: Roderburg <at> Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany