[Samba] Lots of smbd processes and connections?

Brian bbayorgeon at charter.net
Wed Oct 28 23:10:12 MDT 2009

Well don't hold me to it, but I may have solved it!

Was trying to reproduce it but that failed....grrr
Will keep trying after all this...for the benefit of all

anywho....here is / was the thing

my homes is set to

[homes]
   comment = Home directory for %u on %h
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   path = /usr/home/%u/Documents
   valid users = %S

I had /usr/home/root as a symbolic link pointing back to
/root

then I had /root/Documents as a symbolic link pointing
to /usr/samba-shares/file-server3/root/Documents

should be ok?  at least I thought so

well so far so good (crosses fingers) I deleted the
/usr/home/root symbolic link to /root and made a real
directory there named root, then I created a symbolic link
there named Documents to /usr/samba-shares/file-server3/Documents

ohh and if ya missed it I moved
/usr/samba-shares/file-server3/root/Documents
to /usr/samba-shares/file-server3/Documents

and also somewhere in there I renamed "old root home" to "old-root-home"

BAMMM near as I can tell no one is spamming any more

Yawns! time will tell if I fixed it, but would sure like to reproduce it!