[Samba] Permissions on Windows machines

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Oct 28 20:50:59 MDT 2009

I am trying to backup a Windows XP Pro machine
with BackupPC running on a Fedora-11 machine.

Let me say at once that I know very little
about Windows XP;
the machine I want to backup belongs to a relative
who does not run Linux.

The problem seems to lie with reading permission
on my Windows client.
Thus I can
	sudo mount -t cifs harriet:C /mnt/win
and can list the files /mnt/win .
But I get refused permission to read most of them, eg
-------------------------------------
[root at helen tim]# cd /mnt/win
[root at helen win]# cd Documents\ and\ Settings/
[root at helen Documents and Settings]# ls tim
ls: reading directory tim: Permission denied

Is there a document that explains in simple language
how to change Windows permissions explicitly for samba?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net