[Samba] Migrate Win2k3 file server to samba fileserver

Ulrich Althaus ulrich.althaus at triagnosys.com
Mon Oct 26 07:19:18 MDT 2009

Hi,

this is my first posting to the samba mailing list. So please excuse me,
if I am posting to the wrong list.

To my problem:
we have a win2003 sbs server in our company which is responsible for
users, files and some other stuff.
Now for several reasons I'd very much like to migrate the file server
part to linux/samba.
My biggest issue is, that we have a quite complex permission structure.
So how do I migrate all permissions to samba in a scripted way? I am
pretty sure we need acls, as we have directories/files where different
groups and a few selected users have different access.
Creating the needed groups is not the problem but I cannot check every
single file on our server, to see if there are some exceptions.
I already dumped the permissions with dumpacl in windows. But how do I
go on from here?
Are there some howtos or even scripts that I can use?

regards,
Ulrich
Ulrich Althaus
TriaGnoSys GmbH
Argelsrieder Feld 22
D-82234 Wessling-Oberpfaffenhofen
Germany

Tel: +49 8153 88678-218
Fax:+49 8153 88678-1

email: Ulrich.Althaus at triagnosys.com
www: http://www.triagnosys.com
TriaGnoSys GmbH, Registergericht: München HRB 141647, Vat. :DE 813396184
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Holzbock, Dr. Axel Jahn, Dr. Markus Werner

addressed. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this
for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received
this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by replying
to this e-mail and delete the material from any computer. Thank you for
your cooperation.