[Samba] smbd processes sticking around

Jonathon Doran jon at doransw.com
Sun Oct 25 10:47:31 MDT 2009

We are running 3.4.2-0.42.fc11, and I have been noticing some extra
processes "sticking around", for lack of a better term.

If I run "w" on the server I see around 11 "users" logged on running smbd -D.
Here is an example (with the user name removed):

xxxx    smb/12   ::ffff:10.0.1.7  Fri16    0.00s  0.00s  1:10  smbd -D

Nobody is in the lab, and the accounts are not logged on.  (Well one might be,
but not all of these entries).  Furthermore, there are multiple
daemons associated
with the same IP address.  10.0.1.7 has entries on smb/9, smb/10, and smb/12.

What might cause this?  And is there a way to ensure that smb users do
not show
up as being logged onto the server?  I do not recall this behavior in
the past.