[Samba] how to automount password less samba share in linux ?

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Thu Oct 22 06:44:26 MDT 2009

Dear list,

I have a password-less samba shared  and it is used successfully from
window PCs. I also like to make an auto-mount for linux pcs so that it
can be used from linux boxes.  To achieve this I have made an entry in
/etc/fstab as

```````````````````````
//192.168.1.1/shared /home/test/serverdisk cifs  user,rw  0 0
````````````````````

As root I can mount it and see all the contents of remote folder. It
though asked for a password but simply giving an *enter* at password
prompt mount the shared folder successfully. But then non-root user
can't write on there. If I try to mount it as a non-admin user it failed
with the following error as

 mount serverdisk/
Password:
mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Here I did the same at password prompt i.e. simply pressing *enter*
which worked as root ; but this time not !!!
Have I missed anything or any special arrangement to follow as non-admin ?
Need some enlightenment.