[Samba] Files copying - date and owner... problems

lmhelp lmbox at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 22 02:23:14 MDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading my post.

I have some data on a "Windows Server 2003" machine I put there
temporarily (quite a big amount of data: 44.8 GB).

I have copied them back on my Samba server (Debian Lenny hosts the server).

I have had two different types of problems:

1) Date problem:
    ----------------
    some very "old" files which I hadn't touched for an eternity (or so :))
    have had their date changed to say 2009/10/07 (7th of October 2009, the
    day I copied the data from the Windows to the Lenny server)
    which is not normal and which is very problematic.
    For example:
    - on the Windows server, there is a file <foo.ext> which date is
2007/06/04
    - on the Samba server, after copying it, its date is 2009/10/07.
    (I am talking about the "Date Modified" as it is named on Windows
machines).

2) Owner and owner group problem:
    --------------------------------------
    I was logged as <user1> on the Windows 2003 server.
    <user1> is a Samba user (declared on the Samba server,
    member of the "/etc/samba/smbpasswd" file).
    So, if I understood well the meaning of the Samba config. file:
    normally when a file is copied on the server, its owner is <user1>
    and its owner group is "domadm".
    Some files have had their owner and owner group set to "root" preventing
    as a result <user1> to write them.

    Here is my "/etc/samba/smb.conf" config. file to check what I said
before:

    [global]
      workgroup = <workgroup_name>
      server string = %h Samba server
      log level = 1
      log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
      max log size = 1000
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
      logon path =
      logon home =
      domain logons = Yes
      os level = 128
      preferred master = Yes
      domain master = Yes
      remote browse sync = yes

    [<share_name>]
      comment = <share_name>
      path = /<share_path>/<share_name>
      force group = domadm
      read only = No
      create mask = 0664
      directory mask = 0775
      guest ok = Yes

Can you tell me if I misconfigured something?
If I should add someting to my config. file to avoid such problems?
Do you think what happened was a Samba server malfunctioning?

Thank you for your help and all the best,
--
Lmhelp